UNC Asheville serves as the academic, social, cultural and economic hub for a region inherently innovative and inspiring. Each year, the university hosts hundreds of academic lectures, symposiums, cultural programs and athletic events that bring students, faculty, staff and the community together. Our innovative centers, institutes and programs promote learning, understanding and well-being among people of all ages and backgrounds, while helping to protect and sustain our environment. The university fosters investment and engagement: between students, faculty and staff, community leaders, residents of our area, our region and the world.
UNC Asheville's Economic Impact
- More than 6,000 alumni who call the Asheville area home increase total economic output in the area by $64.1 million annually.
- Visitors who travel from outside the Asheville area to attend a UNC Asheville event spend an estimated $4.5 million annually in the local economy.
- Approximately 3,700 undergraduate students generate a total economic output of more than $36.3 million annually, not including tuition and fees.
- Approximately 90% of The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) members have relocated to Asheville providing an estimated $7.6 million to the Asheville region.
- Total economic output increases by $153.5 million annually in the Asheville region as a result of spending by UNC Asheville.